Sweater stretched out after washing - we return the old look
Posted by: 17.11.2017
Long socks, improper washing and drying not by the rules - these are the main reasons why your favorite sweater can lose its shape and turn into a shapeless something that can no longer be put on the way out. Fortunately, even if the sweater was stretched out after washing, it can return to its former appearance, and even in neglected cases. Do not rush to throw away your expensive clothes, if it is deformed after contact with a washing machine - the right approach to returning a sweater to your uniform will help protect yourself from the bitterness of loss and monetary costs. What to do if the thing is stretched after washing, and how to prevent it?
Why is a sweater stretched?
It is not always the case that a thing stretched out after washing in a washing machine - because of its rather high elasticity, a sweater can increase in size and resist deformation during wear. Quite often, people on nerves or out of habit touch the hem or sleeves of clothes, delaying them in different directions, which leads to a disproportionate increase in the length of individual parts of the sweater. From the outside, it looks very ugly, so the sweater should be “tied back”, especially if the sweater was stretched after washing - what to do in this case?
Wedge method - use a washing machine
What to do if the sweater is stretched after washing, while the product is clearly machine knitted? You can use the same washing machine, in which the stretching occurred, but this time to use it wisely. It is necessary to act according to the instructions in order to return things to the previous form:
- Put a stretched sweater in a laundry bag.
- Send the bag to the washing machine drum.
- Add a product for washing wool.
- Select the quick wash mode and start the cycle.
- At the end of the wash, remove the bag and squeeze the sweater.
- Spread the sweater on a towel and dry.
Still, your sweater stretched out after washing - what to do in this case? Give your clothes the right shape before leaving it to dry. The thing will literally harden in the form that you give it, so it is important to track exactly how your sweater is drying.
Manual way to give the desired shape
Not all housewives know what to do if, after washing, a hand-made sweater stretched out. In this case, you will have to use a more delicate approach based on this approach:
- Fill the bathroom with a little warm water.
- Place the stretched product on the surface of the water and let it soak completely.
- After a few minutes of soaking, drain the water and squeeze the sweater.
- Put the sweater in a terry towel and again gently squeeze.
- After the last spin, place the item on a towel and let it dry completely.
As in the previous case, do not forget to give the product the correct shape before drying.
Partial restoration of things
How to restore a stretched sweater after washing, if only cuffs and sleeves are deformed? You can do a simple procedure, which involves wetting stretched areas of clothing with a spray bottle and further unfolding on a terry towel to give the necessary shape. Just a couple of hours, and the thing will take its original form.
To speed up the drying process of the sweater after wet processing, you can use a hair dryer. It is important to include it on the supply of cold air, since exposure to high temperatures can lead to even greater deformation of clothing, which will be difficult to eliminate.
General care tips
You already perfectly understand how to restore a sweater after washing - it stretched out strongly or not, you will definitely cope with the task. But it would not be superfluous to learn a few recommendations, following which will help to get rid of such a problem as the deformation of woolen things:
- Try to wash all knitted products only by hand, only in warm water. The powder should be added in very small quantities, and, if possible, use only special formulations intended for washing wool items.
- Never dry washed laundry in a suspended state - so clothes under its own weight will stretch even more than it will not work out.
- Do not dry your clothes after washing in the open sun or near batteries - so the coat will become more rough and tough, and therefore the comfort of wearing things will be lost.
Now you will not panic if your jacket stretches out after washing - what to do and how to dry clothes properly you already know. Use tips in practice and share them with your friends, so that they also know how to care for woolen things.