Optimum ironing temperature for different types of fabrics
Posted by: 08.04.2018
The temperature of ironing is an important indicator, compliance with which will ensure a long service life of the item and an excellent appearance. Thanks to him, you can iron your clothes with quality and not spoil them. Ironing temperature is set depending on the type of fabric.
Decoding of labels
Each item of clothing contains a special label on which features of care of a thing are indicated. They are marked recommendations for washing, drying and ironing. The most important thing is to be able to decipher them.
- Figure 1. Legend of ironing modes.
- Iron. Permits to iron the product, without any features.
- Iron with 3 dots inside. It is allowed to iron at high temperatures up to 200 ° C. Applicable for flax and cotton.
- Iron inside the circle. Maximum temperature 140 ° С. Polyester, polyacrylonitrile fabrics.
- Iron with 2 dots. Temperature readings up to 150 ° С. Used for viscose, wool, polyester, polyester, silk.
- Iron with 1 dot. Provides ironing at a temperature not exceeding 110 ° C. Acetate, polyamide, nylon, viscose, nylon.
- Iron crossed out. Ironing and steaming is prohibited.
- An iron with a 1 dot, a pair is crossed out at the bottom. Can not be steamed.
Non-compliance with the recommendation on clothing labels may lead to irreversible damage to things.
Features of heating irons
Every hostess knows that a good iron should have the following qualities:
- uniform heating of the sole;
- moderate weight;
- smooth glide.
It is very important that the set ironing temperature of the fabrics on the device is maintained evenly over the entire surface of the sole. This figure depends on the material of manufacture. For these purposes are used:
- cast iron.
Best ceramics proved itself. The temperature maximum falls on the center of the sole, gradually decreasing to the edge. The approximate difference between the center and the outskirts is around 10 ° C.
Most devices have in their design components such as the heating element, thermostat, signal lamp and steam function.
Each mode of the iron has 3 temperature values: nominal, maximum and minimum. The data presented in the table.
1 table. The temperature of the sole of the iron in different modes
|Maximum value, ° С||115||155||205|
|Minimum, ° С||75||105||145|
|Nominal, ° С||95||130||175|
Ironing temperature of the main types of fabrics
Linen clothing has excellent breathable and heat-conducting properties. With proper care, it retains its qualities for a long time. In order for things from flax not to lose their original appearance, they need special care.
How to iron flax:
- Ironing temperature during ironing should correspond to 180 – 200 ° С (3 points).
- Turn inside out.
- Provide moisture to clothing. It is better to handle almost immediately after washing or use a spray gun.
- Intensive pressure on the iron.
- It is allowed to enable the steam function.
For high-quality ironing natural flax requires high temperature and humidity. We must not forget that this fabric is easily wrinkled, so it will be quite difficult to achieve the perfect result.
If there are additions of other fibers in the material, for example cotton, then the temperature should not be set higher than 180 ° С.
Particular attention should be paid to the presence of decorative elements. Embroidery, patterns are ironed exclusively from the inside and only through gauze. Direct contact with the bottom of the device is not allowed.
Very thick clothes are ironed on both sides, but using gauze. For starched items, the temperature should be reduced by about 10 – 20 ° С from the maximum.
Clothing from this material is the most popular. Cotton is a rather dense fabric that absorbs moisture well and passes air well. Bed linen, dress, shirts and many other things are made from it. In order to properly iron products, you should follow these recommendations:
- The ironing temperature of cotton is 170 – 180 ° С.
- Do not completely dry. Handle wet or using a spray bottle.
- Strongly press on the iron.
- Use wet steam.
In its pure form, cotton is hard enough to iron. The process requires high temperature and strong pressure. If the item contains an addition in the form of polyester, the heating of the sole must be reduced to 110 ° C.
Products without drawings and embroidery are processed from the outside, in the presence of decorative elements or paints, clothing must be turned inside out. For maximum effect, you should follow the recommendations indicated on the clothing label.
Silk is a delicate material that requires careful treatment. It dries quickly, has a delicate texture. The fabric is very sensitive to external influences, so you need to know the main rules how to stroke silk.
- The ironing temperature of 60 – 80 ° C silk (one point or the corresponding inscription on the instrument panel).
- Do not use steam. Difficult divorces may remain.
- Use a thin cloth, but not gauze. She, too, leaves stains on silk. In this case, the temperature rise on 10 – 20 is permissible.
- The direction of movement is vertical. Otherwise, the fabric may stretch.
How to iron a silk dress or a shirt of a complex cut:
- Hang the product on the hanger.
- Cover with a thin, slightly damp cloth on top.
- Heat the device to the temperature indicated on the label. If it is not possible to view the information, then set the mode to go or 1 dot on the iron.
- Slowly drive the ferry at a distance 4 – 7 cm from the dress with vertical movements.
The same rules should be followed when working with chiffon and polyester.
Soft, natural material that is afraid of exposure to high temperatures. For safe ironing, you should follow these rules:
- Ironing temperature 100 – 120 ° С.
- Turn inside out.
- Continuous management of the iron is better to replace it with a permutation from place to place. This method will avoid tissue deformation.
- Use extra moisture in the form of cotton fabric.
Woolen things are very whimsical and do not always tolerate ironing. Carefully read the recommendations on the labels. The process of ironing is better to prefer vertical steaming.
To avoid damage to the clothing of this material, use the following tips:
- Maximum temperature 120 ° C.
- It is forbidden to wet, otherwise there will be stains.
- Handle only inside out.
- Apply wet gauze or cotton cloth.
Lightweight, thin, well breathable material. For effective ironing you need:
- Do not raise the temperature more than 170 ° C.
- To iron from the front of the product.
- Strongly press on the iron.
- Extra moisturizing.
Properly chosen temperature mode ironing - the key to obtaining an excellent result.