Rules and recommendations for the care of leather shoes at home
Posted by: 19.11.2017
- 1 Daily care: cleaning and applying cream
- 2 Care for new leather goods
- 3 White leather shoes: cleaning and color retention
- 4 Patent leather shoes: important recommendations
- 5 Shoe shoes from the twisted skin
- 6 Drying
- 7 End of season care and storage
- 8 Folk care products for shoes
Products made of genuine leather - durable and comfortable - are able to retain their original appearance and properties for a long time, if they are given due attention. Care for leather shoes at home is not only a daily cleaning, but also the protection of surfaces from the destructive effects of precipitation, street dirt and technical salt, proper drying and storage.
Daily care: cleaning and applying cream
Every time after socks, boots and shoes made of genuine leather should be cleaned from dust. When heavily soiled, shoes can be washed using a soft sponge. Work begins with the sole, removing first the remnants of adhering dirt, and then move up to the bootleg. Care should be taken to ensure that water does not penetrate inside.
Important! Water should be warm, but not hot. It is necessary to wash shoes made of leather quickly, prolonged contact with water can worsen the look of the product.
After removing the dirt, the surfaces are thoroughly rubbed with a flap of flannel or cotton fabric.
Proper care of leather shoes is completed by applying a special cream, tailored to the color of the product. For greater efficiency, it should be applied several hours before the release in order for it to be fully absorbed.
To make the boots shine, you can use a velvet cloth or a clean, dry cloth made of cotton or flannel fabric.
Daily maintenance of leather shoes in winter is complemented by applying water-repellent impregnation - in addition to the usual effects of dust and dirt, the leather surface during this period is exposed to technical salt, which can destroy or damage the material.
Care for new leather goods
Immediately after purchasing a new pair of shoes or boots, it is worth buying and appropriate means to protect them. From that, how much correct care of new leather footwear will be, also the term of its service depends.
The most suitable are water-based creams (they are recommended to be used in the dry and warm seasons) and products containing paraffin or wax, which protect the skin well from exposure to water and technical salt.
White leather shoes: cleaning and color retention
White leather shoe care products should not contain aggressive components, since these products have to be washed much more often, and the risk of damaging surfaces is higher. Scratches and cracks will accumulate dust and dirt, spoiling the look of the products.
To clean white boots or shoes, you need to select a separate soft sponge, a brush with soft bristles and a polishing cloth.
It is recommended to wash light skin with a special shoe shampoo - it gives abundant foam and makes it easy to cope even with heavy dirt without using a brush.
Patent leather shoes: important recommendations
To maintain the spectacular look and gloss of lacquered shoes, you need to correctly choose the means to care for them. If you do not follow the recommendations, the surface may become covered with cracks, shine will fade, and shoes will become unusable.
Proper care of leather shoes of this type consists of several stages:
- The varnished surface should be cleaned of dust and dirt settled on it, wiping with a damp sponge. In case of heavy dirt, you can use shoe shampoo or mild soap.
- To preserve and enhance the gloss, it is recommended to polish the surfaces with a clean cloth made of soft fabric or a special velvet ribbon with a small amount of glycerin, castor oil or vaseline applied on it.
- Another way to preserve shine is to use whipped egg white when polishing.
- It is possible to care for the varnished surfaces, using only those means which are intended for this type of skin. If you use the usual, the material may fade or be damaged.
Important! Sometimes there are recommendations to wipe varnished surfaces with a cotton pad soaked in milk. Such advice can be classified as harmful - after such a treatment, a sticky translucent film remains on the skin, which is not easy to remove.
Shoe shoes from the twisted skin
To keep the presentable look of suede boots or shoes is the hardest - such products easily get dirty, it is difficult to remove fat stains from them.
So that they look good as long as possible, it is worth exploring tips on caring for shoes from twisted leather:
- For cleaning use only special soft foam and rubber brushes. Conventional products for skin and sponge can not be applied.
- Wear such shoes should only be in dry weather. If it rains after returning home, it should be washed with soap and alcohol. After the surface is wiped with a piece of clean cloth dipped in acetic solution, and shoes are kept above the steam.
- You can remove glossy spots from the surface by rubbing problem areas with an eraser.
- Talc is useful for dealing with greasy stains on the surface: powder is sprayed onto the contaminated area for 3 – 4 hours.
These two rules for the care of leather shoes and the features of its drying will help not to spoil the shoes and boots after washing:
- Shoes can only be dried at room temperature. You should not place it near the batteries, use a hair dryer or place it in direct sunlight - the skin after such treatment will become rough and tough, and the shoe glue after strong heating may begin to flake off.
- If water gets inside the product, you can put inside the paper, absorbing moisture well, and after a while replace it with a new one. This technique will not only speed up the drying process, but also prevent the deformation of boots or shoes.
End of season care and storage
Before removing shoes from genuine leather for storage, it should be thoroughly cleaned, removing all contaminants from surfaces and soles, dried well and placed inside pads or filled with newspapers. Such a measure will help prevent the deformation of products.
Putting shoes in plastic bags for a long time is not recommended. The optimal solution is storage in cardboard boxes. If it is not possible to pick up a box for each pair, you can use special bags made from natural materials.
Folk care products for shoes
Despite the abundance of creams, sprays and impregnations of any cost and for different skin types, traditional footwear care products at home are still popular - they are available, effective, and their safety has been tested.
To give brilliance
In a container with warm water dilute a small amount of ammonia and baby soap. Thoroughly mix the solution, moisten it with a clean, soft cloth. Rub leather surfaces.
Another option is a mixture of equal parts of milk, egg white and granulated sugar. The mixture is whipped, the foam formed during this process is applied to the skin, and polished with a woolen cloth.
Combine castor oil, melted wax, turpentine. Stir, pour into a jar for storage. Used as an ordinary cream.
Against stains on bright shoes
To remove stains using a cotton pad dipped in vinegar or lemon juice. If the contamination is oily, then a weak soda solution will help.
To prevent cracks on the surface, it is recommended to periodically wipe the skin with a cloth with glycerin.
Compliance with these simple recommendations and properly selected care products for leather shoes will help to keep boots and shoes in their original form for a long time.