Proper care of suede shoes - rules and tips
Posted by: 21.02.2018
Suede is a special type of leather that has a velvety surface and is obtained from soft leather that undergoes a fat method of tanning hides. Due to its delicacy and low resistance to external influences, suede does not tolerate the mode of everyday wear. Suede shoes are often purchased for use on special occasions. If you have suede shoes, the rules for the care of suede shoes will surely come in handy more than once. Strict adherence to the proven tips given in this manual will allow you to significantly extend the life of your suede items, as well as keep them in an attractive way. Ready to learn?
Variety of suede shoes
Not every person who has suede shoes and buys special care products for suede shoes knows that this material has several varieties. So, allocate natural and artificial suede. Natural is made from the skins of goats, deer, moose and some other animals, after which it undergoes special processing. Natural suede has a high content of pores - the material is perfectly breathable, has a soft, pleasant to the touch. Suede of artificial origin is more rough and is divided into two types according to the method of production:
- Woven. Expensive suede, which is of high quality. May have a different pile length. Caring for shoes made of suede, woven, simple and affordable, which cannot be said about the care of a material that has a natural origin.
- Non-woven. Material of lower quality than specified earlier. Non-woven suede consists mainly of two layers - the base and the pile itself, which are joined by glue. Caring for faux suede, the shoes of which are not of the same quality, can cause problems.
Proper care of suede shoes will vary depending on what particular suede the particular model is made of. In any case, you will have to spend some of your time and money.
Winter Care Rules
Caring for suede shoes in winter is one of the most important components of caring for suede shoes. There are several valuable rules, following which will prolong the life of the material:
- Think about prevention - do not wear suede shoes in rainy weather, and if there is such a need, try to bypass puddles and dirt, preventing moisture from getting on the shoes.
- It is necessary to remove dirt from suede shoes in a stream of warm water using good washing powder. You can not apply the powder directly on the suede, and the more you can not rub it on the surface of the material - it can damage the pile on your shoes.
- Caring for suede shoes in winter at home can also suggest boiling, if the pollution is very serious. It is enough to boil some water in an emulated saucepan or other suitable container, then lower the suede shoes into it for a few minutes.
If there is not much dirt on your shoes, you can make care of chamois winter shoes even easier and faster - mix ammonia and water in equal amounts, then moisten a cotton swab with a solution and wipe the suede surface with it. If necessary, the procedure can be repeated.
Salt - the main enemy of suede!
Proper and effective care for suede shoes at home often involves cleaning the material from white streaks, which are formed under the influence of salt. To remove stains, you can use special products for the care of suede shoes, which can be found in abundance in household chemicals stores. With the help of the tool you can solve the cosmetic side of the issue, but the particles of salt will remain in the depth of the material, continuing their destructive effect on suede. To effectively combat salt contamination, you can conduct one of the following methods:
- Take a soft brush with rubberized teeth, apply a little special suede foam on it, and then gently wipe the shoes. At this stage, you will get rid of not only traces of salt, but also ordinary dust and dirt. After that, it is advisable to use a crepe brush, which will help to restore the structure of the pile and return the material velvety.
- Use special impregnation, which must be regularly applied to shoes during the winter in order to maintain a high level of protection of the material from external influences. For the impregnation to work in full force, apply at least 3 layers in one treatment.
Often, winter care for suede shoes at home can be limited to these actions. The main rule is to care regularly and in a timely manner.
How to recover nap?
Dirt and salt on suede - not the only problems faced by owners of suede shoes. Often the nap loses its structure and color, so that the shoe becomes unattractive. That is why the care of suede shoes at home must necessarily include the timely restoration of color and lint. So, the color can be restored at home as follows:
- Mix ammonia and water in equal quantities, bring to a homogeneous state.
- Moisten a cotton swab in the prepared solution and wipe the suede surface with it.
- After the alcohol treatment, lift the nap on the shoe with a rubber brush or eraser.
Caring for shoes made of artificial suede to restore the structure of the pile can be done like this:
- Heat the water in a saucepan or enamelled bucket, bringing it to a boil.
- Wipe suede shoes with a cotton swab or soft cloth.
- If necessary, repeat the procedure.
The impact of hot water vapor affects the pile in the most positive way - it self-kills itself, taking on its original appearance. This method is the easiest, fastest and most affordable.
Restore the color of suede
Caring for suede shoes is needed even when products have lost their attractive color. Fortunately, you can restore it at home, but using special tools. As a rule, these are cylinders with paint of a certain color that must be sprayed onto the surface of the material. Before going into the painting of shoes, go outside or open the windows in the room - the paint has a rather unpleasant smell and can also be a threat to the respiratory system.
Use only quality and proven care products for suede shoes. Before you buy, take some time to get feedback on one or another manufacturer. Remember that using low-quality products is not only a waste of money, but also a risk to your shoes.
Proper shoe drying
Caring for suede, shoes from which is very popular among people, often involves the use of detergents and water. But how to dry suede products? Are there any rules? Yes, there are recommendations, following which allows you to save the properties of suede:
- In no case do not put wet shoes made of suede near the heating pipes and heating devices, as well as sources of open fire. The aggressive effects of heat spoil the suede.
- Try to dry suede shoes only at room temperature. Do not speed up the drying process so as not to increase the likelihood that the material will inevitably deteriorate.
- It is advisable to put crumpled newspapers inside the shoes - they will absorb moisture, which will not only dry out shoes more quickly, but will also make drying more uniform and effective.
Never delay the care of suede shoes for a long time - these products do not tolerate this approach. Take care of everything so that your shoes will serve you as long as possible.