How to wash a velvet dress and care for things
Posted by: 05.04.2018
Natural velvet material, the threads of which are made of silk, is used for the manufacture of textiles for the home and various clothes. Velvet has unusual positive properties: it does not attract dust particles, does not cause irritation on the skin, does not contain chemical fibers and does not electrify. However, it is important to know how to wash a velvet dress or any other product, because sensitive material requires special care.
Rules for washing velvet dress
The safest and most effective way to wash a velvet dress is dry cleaning. However, there are cases when there is no possibility of seeking help from specialists. Is it possible to wash velvet clothes at home? If certain rules are observed, the product of cotton or synthetic origin is processed by our own efforts, however, if the velvet is silk or viscose, then it is better to spend money and take the thing to dry cleaning.
It is important to remember the following cleaning rules:
- It is best to wash the velvet by hand, gently turning the fabric along the direction of the fibers;
- In order not to spoil the soft fibers, the product must be turned inside out;
- Sparing gels or liquid formulations can be used as cleansing agents, but not powders;
- The optimum water temperature is 30 degrees;
- Spin things should be avoided;
- If the stains on the dress are noticeable, then they should be removed beforehand, before the main wash;
- The recommended method of drying is on a horizontal surface unfolded.
Is it possible to wash the velvet dress in the "machine"? Machine washing as a cleaning method can be used only in extreme cases, since there is a possibility of a roughened pile and shrinkage of the product. If a dress made of velvet just hung in the closet for several months, it is not necessary to wash it - it is enough just to refresh its appearance in safe ways (treatment with water, steam, etc.).
Removing stains from velvet
In the matter of how to properly wash a velvet dress, initially you should pay attention to the presence of visible stains on the product. If the thing got wax, you can try to wipe the material with a mixture of alcohol (vodka) and turpentine. This should be done carefully, observing how the fabric reacts to cleaning products.
There are other types of pollution on velvet, which can be handled with available tools. The main ones are:
- Ammon - an aid in combating stains from products on a velvet product. Means (1 st. L) must be diluted in a glass of water. Soak a cloth in the liquid and wipe the place of contamination with it. Experienced housewives recommend to pre-hold the dress over the steam, or to process the fabric with a steamer.
- Wine vinegar will help in how to wash velvet from fat. It is necessary to make a solution: 1 glass of heated water + a tablespoon of vinegar.
- Ammonia solution + cold water (1 to 10). With this tool you can get rid of the patchy areas on the velvet fabric. Treat the area with a brush or cotton swab. After cleaning, be sure to rinse the dress with clean water.
Listed ways of how to wash velvet things will help you quickly and without damaging the fabric to clean your favorite thing from complex dirt.
How to dry velvet product
After the velvet items are washed, you need to dry them properly. You can not unscrew the fabric, you should simply spread it on a horizontal surface, covered with a soft towel, which absorbs moisture well. The edges of the product are straightened, the dress rolls up into a roll. At the same time, it is necessary to press the thing onto the thing so that the excess moisture remains on the towel. The procedure is repeated several times. If necessary, the wet towel is changed to dry.
A roll of towels and dresses should be left for half an hour, then unroll and shake the product. To make a thing completely dry, you should leave it lying on the surface of the pile up. The procedure should not be carried out near heating devices or open sunlight. After the 2 clock expires, the item will completely dry out, after which you can start ironing.
Methods of care and ironing velvet stuff
Before you wash and iron velvet, you need to assess the condition of the product. In some cases, it is enough to refresh the fabric so that it looks like new (if there are no visible contaminants). This will require a steamer. If the product has been hanging in the closet for a long time, then it is recommended to simply treat the material with a wet sponge. Experienced housewives are advised to first get rid of the dust with a hair dryer, and then only proceed to wet cleaning.
If there is no steamer, then you can hold the velvet thing over boiling water on the stove. To make the dress look even better, you can try to fill it from the inside with a soft cloth and steam. In addition to the care of velvet are the procedure of brushing the fabric with a brush in different directions (the brush is wetted in gasoline).
Well straightens folds steamer, ironing is not recommended for the type of fabric in question. You can try another proven method:
- Lay a blanket on a horizontal surface in several layers.
- Cover it with a cotton sheet, which must be moistened with hot water.
- Attach the velvet pins to the sheet on the blanket.
- Cover the item with a dry clean cloth (you can also use a sheet), and then a damp one.
- Leave it all overnight. In the morning the dress will look great.
Velvet products require special care: cleaning from stains, delicate washing, proper drying and ironing. With a competent approach to these processes, a favorite thing will delight with its attractive appearance and freshness.