How does linen from calico after washing
Posted by: 25.03.2018
- 1 What materials do not decrease after washing
- 2 What fabrics sit on the water
- 3 Causes of shrinkage
- 4 How to prevent shrinkage
- 5 How to fix the consequences of improper washing
The best fabrics in terms of health care are natural. But such canvases can sit down with improper washing or change shape with the wrong cut.
What materials do not decrease after washing
Among the natural materials are:
- Calico with an admixture of synthetic fibers, which retains its properties even after many washings. In some cases, shrinkage occurs, but it reaches a maximum of 10%.
- Satin. With the composition with the addition of synthetics, satin sheets do not change their size.
- Poplin. It has a soft structure and improved properties of coarse.
- The flannel does not shrink at all at low temperatures, but the fabric can sit in hot water.
- Silk. This fabric is not reduced if it is washed.
When cleaning products made of organic cotton, you need to follow the instructions, as they can be deformed in hot water. The optimum temperature is 30 degrees.
What fabrics sit on the water
Substantially shrinkable are materials that are 100% cotton, for example:
- And also flax and wool can sit down.
Such webs lose their 1 – 2 size.
Causes of shrinkage
The most common material for the manufacture of bed linen is calico. Many people take them out of the washing machine and see that the products made from this fabric have sat down, in order to determine why this happened, you need to look at the label with recommendations for use. One of the popular reasons for getting things out after water procedures is to set a high temperature (more than 40 degrees). It can also play the role of a strong spin or drying in the straightened position on the plane.
How to prevent shrinkage
How to choose
To avoid rapid deterioration of the material, during the selection of bed linen it is necessary to examine in detail its composition. Preference should be given to a coarse calico containing a small proportion of synthetic fibers. Because of this, underwear will keep your size for much longer. Among such artificial impurities can be added lavsan, polyester, nylon, viscose.
If, nevertheless, it was decided to purchase bedding from 100% cotton, you need to take them a little larger. This is due to the fact that after washing the material exactly sit down.
To avoid getting the curve of things after cleansing procedures, before sewing it is imperative to check how the weft is related to the fractional thread. If they do not make a right angle, then the thing is necessarily deformed. Such a calico is strongly not recommended to use to create products.
In order to make the by-product not too small, there is a special cutting. It is necessary to see how a particular type of fabric will sit down, for this it is advised to take a square piece of coarse calico, which side is 25 centimeters, and wash. After this procedure, a proportion of the original sizes and the resulting values is made, and the percentage of shrinkage is displayed. When sewing on a fraction of this percentage, you need to make the product larger.
Usually, the sheeting fabric sits in the same proportions, both in width and in length.
The best option would be to pretreat the material with steam. When steaming, the coarse calico will acquire a reduced size, and bed linen must be sewn from this cloth. This method allows you to save a special impregnation in the fabric and eliminate its further loss of size.
If you sew clothes for yourself, the fabric can not be steamed, but washed. In this case, a small amount of industrial impregnation will be washed off, but the result of shrinkage will be more accurate.
To almost completely protect the bedding, you can boil the original calico before sewing. This method is often used for children's things.
Comments of experts on the preparation for washing the sheeting
To minimize the diminishing effects of washing, it’s necessary to turn the thing inside out and fasten all the buttons.
For heavy soiling, it is necessary to pre-soak in the powder for 4 hours. Do not soak clothes in hot water. As powders it is recommended to use anti-stains.
To make products from calico serve longer, they need to be cleaned in water from 30 to 60 degrees with powders of universal or soft action.
- In warm water pour powder for cotton cloths.
- Place the calico product there and quickly start washing, gently rubbing all areas of the material with your hands.
- In such water, you can keep a bandage thing no more than 10 minutes, so that the thing does not sit down.
- After bedding you need to rinse in clean water and squeeze gently, without applying much force.
- It is necessary to set the temperature mode for washing the coarse calico within 30 – 60 degrees.
- It is better to use a delicate wash (or hand wash).
How to fix the consequences of improper washing
If you have not considered how the fabric sets after water procedures, and the product has decreased, you can try to save it. However, it is worth trying only when the coarse calico will contain some artificial impurities. And with 100% cotton fabrics, this method does not work.
You should soak the laundry in a container with cold water for a quarter of an hour, then transfer it to the washing machine and begin a delicate wash. Then you need to gently stretch the thing. If we are talking about a sheet, it should be pulled together. Dry stretched bedding is necessary only in limbo to prevent greater shrinkage.
Bottom line: to make bed linen from coarse calico as long as possible, it is advised to choose it with an admixture of artificial fibers, and wash it in a gentle manner and not hot water. Such material is also good because after improper washing and shrinkage of the product, it can be stretched and brought to its original state.