The most effective ways to store walnuts
Posted by: 11.11.2017
Walnuts are an invaluable product that has many beneficial properties and also has a pleasant taste. They are indispensable for people with heart disease, suffering from diseases of the thyroid gland. In addition, the product has high tonic and immunostimulating properties. Such a list of positive qualities simply obliges every citizen of our country to have them in his arsenal. Knowing how to store nuts properly will help you enjoy the taste and benefit of this product all year round.
Preparation: which nuts are best kept
In order to lay nuts for a whole year and did not deteriorate at all either in appearance or taste, you need to be able to choose the right specimens for storage.
Even before you buy a product, you should carefully examine it. Walnuts that meet the following criteria can be safely sent for long-term storage:
- pure shell;
- no adhering dirt on the surface;
- shell integrity;
- kernels must have a natural light brown color;
- pleasant pure aroma, without impurity of bitterness, prelasty;
- appropriate weight, too light specimens likely to rot or dry
Note! To fully ensure that the nuts are in good condition, you can lower their water. Those fruits that have surfaced can be safely discarded, they are not suitable for storage or for human consumption.
Choose walnuts, which are sold in bulk, as any package of non-breathing materials, especially plastic, contributes to the rapid deterioration of products.
Choose a storage method
First of all, it is necessary to decide how to store walnuts. There are 3 options:
- in the shell;
- in purified form;
- in the form of blanks.
By the way, the options for storing pine nuts and walnuts are identical. Therefore, the proposed options can be safely applied in any variety of fruits.
Advantages of in-shell storage:
- An easier way to prepare.
- Ability to save the product throughout the year.
- Additional protection against pests.
If choosing how to store walnuts will be chosen without the shell, then there are the following advantages:
- More convenient way of further use, since they do not have to be further cleaned.
- They take up less space, since the shell is rather bulky and will occupy a valuable place in the refrigerator.
- In this form, the product can quickly notice signs of damage.
At the same time, both ways to store nuts are considered acceptable and may well preserve the beneficial properties of the fruit throughout the year.
Create the perfect conditions
Walnut is a nutritious product, it is rich in vitamins, minerals, trace elements, as well as a large amount of oils. Therefore, the product is not very resistant to storage, especially if we neglect the necessary conditions.
So, to comply with all standards of how to store nuts, the following conditions are necessary:
- Low humidity. With a high rate, the product will quickly begin to deteriorate and be affected by mold and other dangerous phenomena.
- High temperatures. In such an environment, bacteria multiply rapidly. Nuts can be stored, even in the freezer.
- Protection from light. Direct sunlight is detrimental to the fruit, so you need to choose either an opaque container or a dark place.
- Protection against oxygen, otherwise the microbes will quickly begin to multiply and lead to damage to the product.
And the last rule, avoid temperature jumps. Then all the preparations will last a long time and will be able to enrich the body with a mass of useful components.
Eliminating all the components in which nuts deteriorate, you can get an excellent preparation of long-term storage.
How to preserve the beneficial properties of the fruit in the shell
Good preparation at times will facilitate the task of storing walnuts. After all, the duration of their shelf life depends largely on how well the fruits are collected.
To prepare the walnuts for storage in the shell will have to do the following steps:
- Peel off the green peel.
- Rinse with water.
- Dry in fresh air. This will help remove excess moisture and avoid mold damage. The duration of the procedure is about 5-6 days, subject to dry, sunny weather.
- Allow to cool.
Choosing the option in which to store walnuts, you should give preference to boxes made of cardboard or wood, and you can also prepare special fabric bags.
Note! There are no options for storing green nuts, as in this form they deteriorate quickly and are suitable only for food.
Properly store peeled nuts
Walnuts without a shell are always more convenient, because you will not need to clean them. But in order to extend their shelf life to the year 1, it is necessary to prepare well.
The first thing to do is dry them well. Simple drying in the open air will not be enough. The kernel will have to be dried in the oven. To do this, spread the nuts on a baking sheet so that they are freely located. Heat the oven to approx. 50 degrees. After that, dry for about 2 hours.
Some prefer to use a microwave for this purpose. This method requires much less time. It is enough to dry the nuts for 10 minutes and can be packed in sacks.
Successful storage will require proper packaging, such as paper, tin or glass jars, sealed plastic bags. Please note that if you put the kernels in plastic bags, you can only store them in the freezer.
The most useful and tasty preparations
The most experienced and thrifty housewives prefer to choose the way to store walnuts, immediately in the form in which they are planned to be used. Such dishes with daily use will fill the body's need for acids, trace elements and other useful ingredients.
At the same time, overeat, too, is not worth it. After all, walnuts are quite fatty and high-calorie foods, which can cause violations of the gastrointestinal tract, for example, heaviness in the stomach.
The best recipes for making nuts:
- Incredibly tasty and healthy mix of nuts and honey. To prepare, peeled and dried fruits pour honey and store in a tight-fitting glass jar in the refrigerator. It can be taken purely with a cup of tea or added to baked goods.
- Not inferior to the previous recipe and jam from the green fruit of the nut. This option, how to store walnuts is especially loved by the hostess, who are used to their workpieces do not lose their properties over the longest possible period. For cooking, on 1 kg of unpeeled nuts, you need to take 1 kg of sugar, some ginger and 1,5 glasses of water.
First you need to boil the nuts themselves about 3 hours. Then prepare the syrup from sugar and water and pour boiled green nuts with skin on it. Boil another 5 minutes and can be poured into cans.
- For therapeutic purposes to combat diseases of the cardiovascular system, you can prepare an alcohol tincture. For its preparation, fill a glass jar with about a third crushed green peel. The rest of the volume to add vodka. Remove to a dark place on 30 days. Apply 1 tspl 2 once a day before meals.
And the most important rule, even if all storage conditions were met, in a year walnuts will become unsuitable for consumption. This is due to the fact that the oil that they contain in large quantities begins to deteriorate and gives the product a bitter taste. Therefore, stock up every year new and enjoy the beneficial properties and unique taste of any delicacy.