Secrets of how to store ginger at home
Posted by: 24.11.2017
- 1 Top Storage Options
- 2 How to buy and what to look for
- 3 Fresh root storage
- 4 Freezing will retain useful properties.
- 5 And what if dry?
- 6 Recipes for the most simple and delicious pieces
Immunostimulation, improvement of digestion, and even the fight against cancer - all of these properties has a well-known plant called ginger. More precisely, its root. He enjoys the greatest popularity among those who wish to quickly say goodbye to overweight, as well as those who suffer from frequent colds. The huge number of useful properties and at the same time quite reasonable price make it indispensable in the arsenal of each hostess, so it is very important to know the rules how to store ginger at home.
Top Storage Options
Fans of this product are well aware that only by following all the rules of storage, you can get the maximum benefit. The root of the plant is very juicy and has a specific aroma. If you ignore the recommendations for storage, then it quickly dries out, and will no longer emit such a strong smell.
There are several options for storing ginger at home and they all depend on how quickly you plan to use the product:
- In the form of marinades and other blanks using additional components.
But before choosing how best to store it, you need to learn how to select a product that can transfer long-term storage.
How to buy and what to look for
Only a fresh and juicy root can, even with long storage, not lose its beneficial properties and spicy aroma.
Therefore, before making a purchase, it is necessary to examine it:
- he must be heavy. As already mentioned, fresh root contains a lot of juice, so it must weigh a lot;
- elasticity, another indicator that affects the successful storage of ginger at home. A good specimen is quite dense, which guarantees its freshness;
- have a rich smell. Only a good, uncorrupted product will exude a pleasant, but harsh aroma;
- yellow core. A fresh root will always have a yellowish pulp;
- A large amount of moisture on the surface, and even more so the traces of mold, are the main signal that this ginger is not suitable for storage, but requires disposal.
Only the root that meets all the requirements listed above can be safely sent for long-term storage and be sure that it will preserve all its properties.
Fresh root storage
If a long-term preservation of the product is not intended and the consumer knows for sure that he can use it for 3 – 4 days, then it is not necessary to resort to any special methods.
To maintain freshness and beneficial properties at home longer and extend it to approximately 3 – 4 weeks, you can do the following:
- Inspect the product for the presence of lesions. If any, they need to be cut.
- Dry thoroughly. To do this, wrap in a paper towel and press tightly, so that excessive moisture will remain on the napkin. The product will be protected from mold.
- Wrap each copy in a paper napkin or towel.
- The received preparations need to be lowered in a plastic bag with a dense fastener. It is better to use special ones that can be bought in almost every industrial store.
- Put in the fridge on the vegetable shelf.
Ginger packed in this way will retain its properties for a long time. The main rule is to keep it uncleaned. A sign of rapid deterioration of the product will be condensate drops on polyethylene, this will mean that you need to use such a product within 3 – 4 days.
Freezing will retain useful properties.
If it is known exactly in what form the root will need to be used, then the product can be frozen. This can be done in more than one way.
Method # 1.
- Rinse the root under running water.
- Dry with paper towel.
- To peel.
- Cut into small slices or cubes.
- Load in a container or plastic bag with a tight lock.
Send the root to the freezer, take out as needed in the right quantity.
Method # 2.
- Ginger root rinse.
- Remove excess moisture with a napkin or towel.
- Remove the peel.
- Grate on a fine grater.
- To form small balls or plates. Their size may be different. It is better to immediately form in such a way that, for example, it is enough for one portion.
- Put on a plate and freeze.
- After all the elements have frozen, you can safely load them into a plastic bag and send them back to the freezer.
Storing ginger in this way will provide an opportunity to enjoy a juicy, fragrant product for more than one month.
And what if dry?
Another rather efficient storage method is drying. It is often used by hostesses who always stock up on everything for the future or have a large amount of product.
The advantages of the method:
- Easy to perform.
- The longest shelf life.
- The finished product takes up very little space, since after drying it significantly loses its volume.
- Will not take place in the refrigerator.
- It can be used both for cooking second courses and added to various drinks.
You can also dry the root in two different ways.
Method # 1.
- Remove excess water.
- Peel off.
- Cut into thin slices using a vegetable cutter. In this case, the movement must be along the line of fibers of the root.
- Spread loose on a sheet of baking paper.
- Place on a sheet and send in a heated oven.
- Dry at a temperature of 50 degrees. Drying time 50-60 minutes on each side.
You can also dry in direct sunlight, but then this procedure is longer and all the time you will need to turn the workpiece to dry evenly.
Method # 2.
- Root wash
- Towel dry
- Clean up
- Grind in any convenient way. You can do it with the finest grater or meat grinder.
- Lay out on a sheet, previously covered with baking paper.
- Dry at 50 degrees 40 minutes.
- Turn gently over the workpiece and dry it on the reverse side.
At home, dried ginger turns out to be much more fragrant and tastier than commercial powders. With the right approach, you can save most of the useful components.
Recipes for the most simple and delicious pieces
In the event that the ginger root is planned to be used for a long time after purchase, then it is ideal to cook extremely tasty preparations. It is very simple to do this, but the taste is original and self-sufficient.
Recipe number 1. Supply of vitamins
The combination of ginger with honey not only has an incredible taste, but is also very useful, especially during the cold season. To prepare, mix 100 of grated root with 50 of honey. To stir thoroughly. Store in a glass jar in a dark dry place. Also, to enhance the effect, you can add a little lemon juice.
Recipe number 2. Sweet treat
Lovers of sweets or baking will certainly appreciate. Cut the ginger in the amount of 100 g in thin slices into a boiling glass of water. Simmer for about 60 minutes. Then get the slices, dry on paper and dip each in sugar.
Recipe number 3. For lovers of spices
The most popular option for those who can not imagine life without rols. Classic recipe:
- Cut the 100 of the root into thin slices.
- Grate with salt and leave for 8 hours.
- Boil over low heat for 5 minutes.
- For the marinade: mix 50 g of sugar and 100 ml of vinegar, bring to a boil and cool.
- Pour the petals with the prepared solution and send to the refrigerator.
- You can try 8 hours.
When buying ginger and choosing how to store it, you should always take into account the nature of its use. In order to get the maximum concentration of useful components for treatment or weight loss, it is better to use only a fresh product. Therefore, you need to purchase in small portions. And if ginger is planned to be used as a supplement to food or in drinks, then the methods mentioned above will be safe to use.