Self-leveling kitchen floor - advantages and subtleties of technology
Posted by: 23.12.2017
Self-leveling floors have become popular in Russia relatively recently, but over a very short period of time they have become popular both in apartments and in expensive restaurants, galleries and other places. The high popularity of self-leveling floors is explained not only by the attractiveness, but also by their worthy technical characteristics. In the apartments such floors can be installed both in the bathroom and in the kitchen, as well as in the living room, corridor and other rooms. In this guide, we will figure out what advantages the self-leveling floor in the kitchen has, what it takes to create such a coating by yourself, and how to do it correctly.
5 main advantages of polymer floors
Self-leveling kitchen floor is not only a great way to keep up with the times and decorate your kitchen with a beautiful and original floor covering. This is a good solution in all plans; such a floor has many advantages:
- High resistance to moisture, anti-slip. Even in the kitchen with moist air on such a floor will be quite difficult to slip. In which case the fall on the elastic floor is soft!
- Worthy service life, reliability and very high strength of the flooring, which for many years is able to withstand the burden of kitchen furniture and people passing through it.
- Unpretentiousness of a bulk floor to leaving - to keep such covering clean, it is enough to wipe it from time to time or to wash with a damp rag. The floor does not attract dust - cleaning will be easy!
- A wide range of designs and the ability to hide under the finishing floor an original and striking pattern that can be made in 3D format. Any fantasy can become a reality!
- Resistance to UV light and aggressive chemical agents. Even after many years of use, floors do not fade and do not lose their attractiveness and smoothness of the coating!
It is already becoming clear that the jellied floor in the kitchen becomes just an excellent option for those people who can afford to install it. The fact is that self-leveling floors in the kitchen have a disadvantage, which is presented in the form of a fairly high cost - of course, it is not prohibitive, but tangible more than the price of a wooden or tiled floor. However, the self-leveling floor in the kitchen is practical and original!
What you need to cook before work?
So, you wanted to yourself modern kitchen floors - a great desire, the result of which will delight you for many years. Before starting work, it is necessary to prepare materials and tools:
- Dry mix, topcoat (self-leveling components), tool solvent.
- Universal primer in an amount sufficient to cover the base of the floor in two or three layers.
- One or more containers for the preparation of the solution (volume based on the scale of the work).
- Drill or punch with the ability to work at low revs, nozzle for mixing.
- Wide brush or roller - these tools are useful for applying a primer to the substrate.
- Roller with long spikes, necessary for uniform distribution of the applied mass.
- Needle roller - with this tool, air bubbles are removed on the coating.
- Paint shoes, work clothes, face mask, which should protect the respiratory tract and eyes.
Now that everything is ready for you to get started, you can start making self-leveling floors in the kitchen with your own hands.
Properly prepare the base
Do not pour polymer floors on an unprepared base. First you need to disassemble the old floors and remove the screed that was used to install them - there should be a bare base, often from concrete. As a rule, the base has cracks - they need to be expanded and carefully sealed with epoxy or cement, then wait until it is completely dry. It is also necessary to repair the cracks in the area of baseboards.
When the concrete base becomes smooth, clean and without cracks, it is necessary to proceed to the application of primer. Enough two layers, each of which is applied evenly with a roller or a wide brush. The second layer should be applied only after the final drying of the first - you have to wait. The next stage of installation of self-leveling floors begins only after the extreme layer of the primer dries.
Another important step is the installation of beacons, which will help to fill floors exactly. It is also necessary to put marks on the walls, on which the level will be checked when pouring floors. Beacons must be set using the level - this is very important. When all this is done, you can proceed to the most important and final stage of installation.
We install self-leveling floors in the kitchen
It's time to learn how to make a self-leveling kitchen floor with your own hands. In fact, this is nothing so complicated. First of all, it is necessary to properly prepare the solution - dry mixture should be poured into the container, add water in the indicated proportion with the floor, then bring the solution to a homogeneous composition using a perforator or a drill with a nozzle. It is necessary to use the solution immediately after production, as it polymerizes very quickly (freezes). You should not procure a mixture of liquid floor for the future!
Begin to carefully pour the solution prepared at the preliminary stage of installation onto the surface of the prepared base. Smooth the first layer with a long spatula or a rule, create the required thickness. Immediately remove any air bubbles with a needle roller. Wait until the layer is completely dry - it will take several hours if there is a blower. Apply the next layer in the same way, wait for it to dry, and then apply another layer.
After the last layer of the floor has dried, the kitchen is completely ready! Fully walk through the coating without harm to it can already be through 6-12 hours after drying - the time depends on the composition and material of the floor. The maximum strength and hardness of the self-leveling floor reaches within a week after installation. Now you know which floor to choose for the kitchen (it is better to take a polymer or polyurethane), as well as how to install it yourself - you can save a lot of money on the services of specialists!