Bulk floor in the bathroom - features, advantages, technology
Posted by: 05.11.2017
The floor in the bathroom is very important and must have excellent indicators of strength and resistance to changes in humidity and ambient temperature. An excellent solution that resists the aggressive effects of dampness well and does not lose its attractive appearance even after years is a self-leveling bathroom floor. This polymer coating, which in the process of arranging the floor is applied to the substrate, solidifies and can be used almost immediately for its intended purpose. Why you should choose a self-leveling bathroom floor, what advantages and disadvantages does it differ in, and how can it be done in the house by yourself?
Features and advantages of self-leveling floors
Self-leveling floor in the bathroom will be a great solution for a modern home, as this coating can boast not only an attractive appearance, but also other advantageous advantages:
- Safety of use - adhesion to the flooring is enough to not fall even in a wet room. The polymer floor is elastic and well absorbs the impact energy in the fall.
- Durability and reliability, good moisture resistance and impermeability, which is extremely important when used in the bathroom. The coating is resistant to wear and damage.
- Durability - filler floor in the bathroom, equipped with high-quality materials and with the observance of technology is able to retain its attractiveness and characteristics for many years.
- Good maintainability - if the floor is damaged, it is not necessary to completely disassemble it. To update the coating, it is enough to pour a new layer on top of the old one, and then wait for it to dry.
- The self-leveling floor in the bathroom does not require complicated maintenance, it is easy to clean it - thanks to the antistatic it does not accumulate dust and dirt on the surface. It is enough to regularly sweep and wash it.
- Environmental friendliness and hypoallergenicity - the materials from which the self-leveling floor is made for the bathroom, in no way have a negative impact even on allergies and young children in the house.
The self-leveling floor in the room can be either matte or glossy, normal or with a beautiful three-dimensional pattern. If necessary, the drawing can be added some time after the installation of the coating. Unfortunately, the self-leveling floor in the bathroom under a tile or other texture also has disadvantages - a rather high cost compared to other types of flooring. The rest is a great option. Now we need to figure out how to make a self-leveling floor in the bathroom with your own hands, and what tools are needed for this.
Types of polymer floors for the bathroom
Self-leveling floor in the bathroom can be made using one of the 4 technologies available:
- Polymer floor. The basis of such a flooring material is polyurethane. It is characterized by high wear resistance, durability and ability to hold loads for a long time. This is the most common option for arranging a self-leveling floor due to an adequate price.
- Polyurethane floor. Durable and extremely durable floor that can withstand maximum loads for many years. Good for bathroom with heavy shower.
- Epoxy floor. Attractive appearance of the coating, which, unfortunately, is fragile.
- Polymer cement floor. Such flood floors in the bathroom are extremely rarely used as a self-covering. More often they are used as a basis for another material.
It is best to choose a polymer or polyurethane floor in the bathroom - these two options are able to keep high loads and maintain their attractive appearance for many years of active use.
What do you need for arranging a filler coating?
Before you make a self-leveling floor in the bathroom with your own hands, you need to prepare the following positions:
- Polymer blend and topcoat - the materials from which the floor will be made.
- Drill with the possibility of low speed, or punch with a nozzle for stirring.
- Capacity, the volume of which is at least 20 liters - it is needed to prepare the floor solution.
- A set of spatulas, which will be useful when leveling the liquid solution poured on the base.
- A needle roller, which removes air bubbles on the surface.
- Crack shoes, gloves and a protective face mask, clothes that will not be a pity to throw.
Now you can start the main work - we begin to equip the filler floor in the bathroom with your own hands.
Preparatory work before pouring the floor
It is important to properly prepare the base before you do the self-leveling floor in the bathroom. To do this, carefully remove the old floor covering and leveling under it. Next, the concrete surface is carefully removed from dirt, dust and foreign objects. If there are cracks, they need to be expanded and filled with epoxy mortar or cement mixture, then carefully leveled. When the cracks are sealed, and the solution is dry, you can begin to prepare a mixture of waterproofing.
Arrangement of waterproofing base
In order for the floors to last as long as possible and not to be deformed during the operation, before you make a matte self-leveling floor in the bathroom, it is necessary to equip the waterproofing. For better adhesion of waterproofing with a prepared concrete base, you must first apply a primer - this is done in two layers. The second layer is applied after complete drying of the first. When the second layer of soil is dry, it is necessary to prepare a mixture for waterproofing (if it is performed by coating insulation).
The mixture for waterproofing is neatly applied to the surface of the primed base with a brush or roller, carefully leveled, bubbles are simultaneously removed with a needle roller. Next, a special tape is applied to the surface of the insulation, which in turn is also coated with the mixture. It is necessary to apply two layers, first through 4-6 hours after the first one has dried. It is possible to continue work on the pouring of the polymer floor only a day after the waterproofing of the substrate is equipped.
We establish a coupler for a bulk floor
Self-leveling floor in the bathroom, the video about which can be found on the Internet in large quantities, will not look good if you neglect the arrangement of screed. Instructions for the formation of screed:
- Mark on the surface of the surrounding walls of the floor level, which will be poured liquid floor.
- With an interval of 1 meter from each other, install the beacons, and then align them strictly to the level.
- Prepare the solution for the screed, thoroughly stir it using a perforator with a nozzle.
- Pour the prepared mixture up to the top level of the previously installed beacons on the ground.
- Smooth the screed with the rule and wait until it is completely dry, close the windows and doors.
After the screed has dried, you can make a filler floor in the bathroom - a photo of the process can be found on the Web.
Fill the polymer mixture on the base
At this stage, directly fill the floors in the bathroom, the photos of which you can see on the Internet. First of all, it is necessary to prepare the solution strictly according to the instructions, and then thoroughly stir it to a uniform consistency. Next, the first layer of the floor is poured, carefully leveled using a spatula - at this stage it is important to correctly adjust the thickness of the first layer, as well as to timely remove the bubbles on the surface with a needle roller. The second and subsequent layers are poured similarly to the first, each new layer is poured only after the previous one has dried.
You can start to use the flooded floor after 6-12 hours after the finish has dried. Fully flooring can be operated only after a week - before that time you need to be more accurate. Now you know how to make a self-leveling self-leveling bathroom floor - videos of the process that you can find on the Internet in abundance will help you to clearly understand how to equip such a floor.